Sumary of UK staycation: There’s a new breed of YHA hospitality with fancy restaurants and en suite rooms:
- From the rooftop vantage point, there are great views of the wall.
- WELSH MOUNTAIN VIEWS – YHA SNOWDON PEN-Y-PASS An 1850 former coaching inn, YHA Snowdon Pen-y-Pass in North Wales is a 13-bedroom hostel at the foot of Mount Snowdon.
- Mountaineer George Mallory stayed here when it was a hotel before his ill-fated Everest expedition.
- Mountaineer George Mallory stayed at the YHA Snowdon Pen-y-Pass – back when it was a hotel – before his ill-fated Everest expeditionGood to know: There is no internet access, so bring a book.
- DEEP IN THE LAKES – YHA WASDALE HALLIn a splendid, 20-bedroom National Trust-owned house dating from 1829, YHA Wasdale Hall in the Lake District is surrounded by mountains and beautiful gardens that extend to the shores of Wastwater.
- SURFERS’ DELIGHT – YHA TREYARNON BAY Just 50 yards from the sea and offering great coastal views, YHA Treyarnon Bay in Cornwall has 71 beds and is a great base for surfers — or hanging out in the cafe watching the waves.