Sumary of UK traffic travel light system ‘to be scrapped by 1 October’, sources suggest:
- The UK’s “traffic light” travel system could be scrapped from next month, according to industry sources.
- The BBC has been briefed that the new system “would allow vaccinated travellers to go to countries with similarly high levels of vaccination as the UK without the need for quarantine”.
- The government has reportedly asked senior travel industry leaders to make proposals for a new system around international travel, which will replace the current traffic light lists.
- Follow travel news live: Latest traffic light system updates The source also said that the red list of countries that are unsafe to visit will remain.
- The PC Agency’s CEO, Paul Charles, who has been sharing industry updates throughout the pandemic, also tweeted: “The traffic light system is expected to be scrapped by 1st Oct – at last.
- Airlines and some of us in the sector are aware of plans to create a simpler system, where countries are either red or not.