Sumary of US warns against travel to the UK as CDC raises alert to ‘highest level’:
- Despite hopes a travel corridor could be developed between the UK and the US, American citizens are now being advised against travelling to the UK. It comes as the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the US raises the UK to “level four”.
- Level four is the highest level of alert by the CDC, with experts warning even those who are fully vaccinated “may be at risk” in the UK.US citizens have been told to “avoid travel” saying the risk of Covid in the UK is “very high”.
- “Because of the current situation in the United Kingdom, even fully vaccinated travellers may be at risk for getting and spreading COVID-19 variants,” the CDC said in its update.
- In line with this, the State Department raised its alert level to “do not travel” to reflect the CDC warning.
- Devon lose title as ‘most sought-after’ holiday hotspotsPaul Charles, CEO of the PC Agency, said the change served as a blow to any hopes of resumed travel between the UK and US.”As the CDC advise Americans not to travel to the UK, the US/UK travel taskforce couldn’t be further from a solution to creating a safe corridor,” he wrote on Twitter.
- “We’ve talked a lot about the UK but you’re right to look at travel, not just for holidays although that is important this year, but so that we can remain connected.