Sumary of What is the transatlantic travel taskforce, and what might it achieve?:
- “We’re pleased to announce a joint UK/US Taskforce to help facilitate the reopening of transatlantic travel”.
- – so tweeted the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, a week after tightening restrictions on British travellers..
- Before the coronavirus pandemic, transatlantic links between the two countries constituted the most valuable intercontinental travel market in the world..
- “It is very important that we get that transatlantic relationship reset up in terms of travel between the two countries..
- A tangle of restrictions that make transatlantic travel nigh impossible for British visitors to the US, and onerous quarantine rules for those arriving in the UK from America..
- Donald Trump imposed a ban on direct transatlantic travel from the UK to the US for non-Americans in mid-March 2020 by presidential proclamation, which was lifted when he left office but immediately reimposed by his successor, Joe Biden..
- The Foreign Office advises against all but essential travel to the US “based on the current assessment of Covid-19 risks,”.
- Besides separating many people from their families and partners, the current regime has very severe impacts on tourism on both sides of the Atlantic and on business travel….