Sumary of Doha becomes busiest airport in Middle East:
- In the battle to be the pre-eminent travel hub in the Middle East, the latest research from ForwardKeys has revealed that Doha seized and consolidated a lead over Dubai in the first half of 2021. In the period January 1st-June 30th, the volume of air tickets issued for travel via Doha was 18 per cent higher than it was through Dubai;
- but it quickly reached 100 per cent for the first time during the week commencing January 27th.
- The major factor driving the trend was the lifting, in January, of the blockade of flights to and from Qatar, which was imposed in June 2017 by Bahrain, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and the UAE, who accused Qatar of sponsoring terrorism – an accusation strongly denied by Qatar.
- In addition, various flights through Doha suffered extended journey times, as planes had to make detours to avoid the blockading counties’ air space.
- Since January, five routes, Cairo, Dammam, Dubai, Jeddah and Riyadh, to/from Doha have been reopened and traffic on other routes has grown.
- In addition, new connections with Seattle, San Francisco, and Abidjan, were established in December 2020, January and June respectively.