Sumary of It’s Never Too Late to Follow Your Spiritual Calling:
- Clarity came to her two and a half years ago after Ms. Steel, a married elementary schoolteacher who lives in Madison, Wis.
- And though many of her school colleagues and students supported her, she said she felt backlash from some quarters in the school district, especially over her use of student-designated bathrooms.
- A spokesman for the Madison Metropolitan School District, Tim LeMonds, said the issue was Ms. Steel’s use of a student bathroom, not gender.
- At 56, Ms. Steel retired in June from her career as a public-school teacher for nearly 24 years.
- From my teen years I started calling myself everything from “fallen Catholic” to “atheist” to “agnostic” or simply pushed thoughts of religion away.