Sumary of Woman breaks down into tears telling Senate she can only afford mouldy bread on government payment:
- Helena BurkeNCA NewsWireCamera IconRicki Spencer broke down into tears as she shared the reality of life on the disability pension.
- Speaking at a Senate inquiry into the disability pension on Tuesday, Ricki Spencer said she had to count every penny living on a government disability payment totalling less than $485 a week.
- Ms Spencer broke down into tears as she shared the reality of life on the government support payment.
- I’m just talking about having enough to buy fresh milk, not powdered milk, and bread that that’s not gone mouldy”Camera IconRicki Spencer broke down into tears as she told the Senate inquiry she often has to buy mouldy bread to survive on the disability pension.
- ParlView Credit: SuppliedMs Spencer said she was “embarrassed” to admit how she was living since the physical and mental health effects of her disability had forced her to stop working.
- ”Camera IconMs Spencer said people on the disability pension had to count every penny and often sacrificed groceries.