Sumary of Canada’s Border To Open August 9 To Fully Vaccinated American Travelers:
- Canadian officials announced today that the border with the United States will begin reopening next month to fully vaccinated American citizens and permanent residents, more than 16 months after closing to non-essential travel due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- “This preliminary step allows for the Government of Canada to fully operationalize the adjusted border measures ahead of September 7, 2021, and recognizes the many close ties between Canadians and Americans.
- Last week, Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told provincial leaders that the government was planning to open the border to vaccinated U.S. travelers weeks before a broader re-opening to vaccinated travelers from other countries.
- To enter Canada, travelers must use the government’s ArriveCAN “vaccine passport” app, which allows travelers to upload passport information as well as Covid-19 vaccination records and PCR test results.
- Fully vaccinated residents of other countries will be able to enter Canada beginning September 7, “provided that Canada’s Covid-19 epidemiology remains favorable.
- ” It is unclear when the United States will allow Canadians to enter across the land border for nonessential travel.