Sumary of U.S. will deport undocumented migrants regardless of vaccination status, even as border restrictions ease:
- Senior administration officials on Tuesday said the U.S. is preparing to reopen its land borders with Canada and Mexico for fully vaccinated foreign nationals in early November, putting an end to a policy that has curbed non-essential travel since it was implemented at the outset of the pandemic.
- “The Title 42 restrictions are really about protecting the migrants themselves, the DHS workforce and local communities,” a senior administration official told reporters Tuesday.
- “There’s a strong public health basis, for the moment, for continuing with the Title 42 restrictions.
- “An official also noted that the health policy remains necessary as social distancing is difficult to enforce in Border Patrol facilities where migrants are typically held.
- Immigrant Program at The Advocates for Human Rights, criticized the White House and Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.
- “How is this reconciled with Mayorkas doubling down on Title 42 expulsions?