Sumary of Celebrity Cruises Has A Workaround For DeSantis’ Vaccine Passport Ban, Sort Of:
- Granted, they are in a very tough spot when it comes to sailings out of Florida, home of the three busiest cruise ports in the United States..
- The first ship slated to sail out of Florida in 15 months is Celebrity Edge, which will depart Fort Lauderdale on June 26 on a seven-night cruise to the Western Caribbean..
- Forbes previously obtained an recording of a May 27 call where Ritzenthaler told agents that the DeSantis administration and major cruise lines had discussed a possible exemption to the Florida law for cruise lines..
- A DeSantis spokesperson denied that the governor had ever considered such an exemption and told reporters that Forbes had “misinterpreted”.
- “Florida — because we honor the government, we honor DeSantis — we will still go out with 100% of our crew and 95% of our guests vaccinated..
- But in Florida, we will not require you to have to show proof of vaccination, because we are doing this exactly the right way,”.
- “Our President and CEO, Lisa Lutoff-Perlo, right before this call, said, ‘Dondra, you reassure every travel adviser on this call that we will sail with 95% of our guests vaccinated,’”.
- At the end of the call, Ritzenthaler fielded a question from a travel advisor asking for additional clarity on how the cruise line would achieve the 95% vaccination threshold….