Sumary of Is Airbnb Safe? New Report Exposes Scams, Bug Infestations, Discrimination:
- “We found thousands of cases of account hacking with vacation dollars being stolen via fraudulent bookings as well as many other scams,” says Fergusson.
- “Then there were police interventions, bodily harm, threats, bug infestations, invasions of privacy via hidden cameras, long-term negative health impacts after the customer checked out of the Airbnb and so much more.
- (Photo Illustration by Pavlo Gonchar/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images) SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images The report also compiled more than 500 examples of photographic evidence of unsafe conditions, including bug infestations, rodents, pests, mold, bodily fluids, rotting food and other unsightly or unsafe problems.
- ” Fergusson points out that hotels are highly regulated whereas short-term rentals have little oversight in most cities around the world.
- “Airbnb has very strict review guidelines that allow them to censor reviews for various reasons including ‘circumstances entirely outside of another’s control,’” says Fergusson.
- She claimed her review expressing that particular Airbnb was in a dangerous neighborhood was taken down because it fell under ‘circumstances entirely outside of another’s control.