Sumary of Lessons From COVID: How Three Travel Start-Ups Survived And Thrived During A Pandemic:
- It was like the movie Spinal Tap,” Roberts recalls, referencing the 1984 rock band cult movie classic.
- [+] this sat empty Courtesy of Vacasa Within hours of Vacasa’s reservations bottoming out, Roberts and everyone around him went into hurricane mode.
- At the retail level, AirBnB was minting millionaires daily it seemed out of thousands “mom and pop” flippers who were quickly amassing passive income micro-empires.
- Courtesy of COVID-19 Courtesy of Vacasa 3200 miles away from Portland, OR—where Vacasa’s Roberts was sitting on the CEO hotseat that morning on March 11th, 2020—31-year old Andreas King-Geovanis was having a similar kind of day in Miami.
- Three years earlier, the University of Miami economics grad had founded Sextant Stays, one of the newer start-ups in the alt hotel, arbitrage space, with one apartment and no formal hospitality or leisure industry experience.
- But I never thought of myself as an underdog because I knew it was far easier to get those four things than what I, and every Sextant team member, innately have: empathy and grit.