Sumary of 6 Caribbean Islands (Generally) Not Hit by Hurricanes:
- The Caribbean entices all types of travelers for its extraordinary beaches, tranquil sea, and laidback charm.
- Aruba Beach at the Hotel Riu Palace Aruba/OysterLying just 15 miles off Venezuela’s coast, Aruba’s southerly location is well below the hurricane belt.
- The most recent storms to graze Aruba were Hurricane Felix in 2007, passing 60 miles away and causing only caused minor damage to the Dutch territory, and Hurricane Matthew in 2016, causing minimal damage mostly contained to coastal erosion.
- Summer in Aruba sees temperatures in the mid-80s, though reliable winds provide a refreshing breeze.
- Aruba’s capital, Oranjestad, is characterized by picturesque Dutch architecture and brightly-hued facades housing local eateries and shops.
- The surrounding west coast beaches are best for swimming in the calm turquoise sea, including the resort-lined golden strand of Eagle Beach and Hadicurari Beach.