Sumary of Insta nightmare: How my walking holiday booked through social media turned into the trip from hell:
- I had chosen the trip based on the guide’s amazing Instagram feed, which was full of orange sunsets overlooking stone circles, and blissful-looking hikers filtering water from wild streams.
- ” But the reality turned out to be less meditative wandering and more Hound of the Baskervilles, as the guide – both irresponsible and rather unkind – led us into dangerous and stormy conditions with no safety briefing, then angrily lashed out at those who asked questions.
- The guide frequently left the group behind, disappearing into deep mist and heavy rain that rapidly descended onto Dartmoor.
- Which is why I booked a guided trip in the first place – hoping to get the help, safety, coaching, encouragement and preparation of someone with proven experience.
- Unfortunately, this guide had only walked Dartmoor in soft pink, Insta-filtered sunsets, and it showed.
- So it turns out ‘having a pretty Instagram account’ isn’t a good guiding qualification.