Sumary of Rachel Roddy’s gift recipe for dried stuffed chocolate-coated figs | A kitchen in Rome:
- Last year, it was a chocolate advent calendar – rare in Rome and promised to my son.
- Also, chocolate-coated tangerine segments and stuffed figs – also promised, also gone.
- the bottle-lined shelves make it seem even more so, while at the same time making the tables with the biscuits, cakes and sweets seem bigger.
- I looked for the segments and figs, just two of many things made by a company called Colavolpe in Calabria, whose square boxes stand out for their art nouveau lettering or a picture of a ballerina with a tutu made from whatever is inside – candied orange, alcoholic cherry or segment of tangerine.
- As he spoke, Orazio did a movement I assumed meant dipping a fig in chocolate.
- Coastal Calabria is where the oldest records of human presence in Italy have been found.