Sumary of Travel Alert: Florida Is The Epicenter Of The ‘Pandemic Of The Unvaccinated’:
- Rochelle Walensky, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, during yesterday’s White House Covid-19 briefing.
- “Communities that are fully vaccinated are generally faring well.” Florida is now the epicenter of the “pandemic of the unvaccinated.” Brown School of Public Health For unvaccinated travelers, the Sunshine State is the epicenter of the pandemic, “with one in five cases occurring in Florida alone,” said Jeff Zients, the White House coronavirus coordinator.
- But even as many Florida hospitals are at the edge of capacity for Covid-19 patients, Governor Ron DeSantis’s executive order remains in place banning local governments from requiring face masks.
- That hasn’t stopped many local officials from expressing alarm.
- Last week, the mayor of Orange County, Florida — where Orlando and Walt Disney World are located — issued a “strong recommendation” for wearing face masks in crowded indoor places regardless of their vaccination status.
- It’s also worth noting that Florida is home to the three largest cruise ports in the United States.