Sumary of Allianz Australia, AWP hit with $1.5m penalty over ‘misleading’ travel insurance sales on Expedia:
- Melissa IariaNCA NewsWireCamera IconAllianz Australia Insurance and its related distrubtion arm AWP Australia have been fined for misleading travel insurance sales via the Expedia website.
- Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg Credit: SuppliedShare to FacebookShare to TwitterEmail UsCopy the LinkAllianz Australia Insurance and its related arm AWP Australia have been ordered to pay $1.5m in penalties for the misleading sale of travel insurance on Expedia websites.
- They also failed to prevent insurance on Expedia websites from being sold to consumers who were ineligible to make claims under the policies.
- Camera IconThe court found the travel insurance sales misleading.
- Andrew Harrer/Bloomberg Credit: SuppliedAllianz and AWP also failed to stop Expedia websites from misusing a quote from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade about the importance of purchasing travel insurance.
- The court found the conduct breached the companies’ financial services licence obligations.