Sumary of Aussies stung by whopping $5k tickets:
- The continuation of hotel quarantine for international travellers, and Prime Minister Scott Morrison’s suggestion Australia wouldn’t open up to tourists until next year, also mean many international airlines will continue to offer stripped down flight rostering, meaning the competition for a seat has never been stronger.
- All airlines flying in and out of Australia require proof of a negative Covid-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test result provided by a laboratory.
- • Another thing to note is that Covid tests for travellers are not covered by Medicare.
- • Private pathology labs offer Covid tests for around $140 to $200. • For travellers needing a result on the same day, that price can jump up to $300.Speaking to The Guardian, IBISWorld analyst Tom Youl estimated “it could take a full year” before airlines return to 2019 prices and the same flying capacities seen back then.
- However, Flight Centre boss Graham Turner had a different take, saying he expected the cost of flights to stay fair until the end of 2021 as airlines worked to build trust in international travel again.
- Mr Turner earlier predicted fares wouldn’t be “that expensive” and would likely be in line with the usual pre-Christmas rush prices.