Sumary of Coronavirus Victoria: Decision on new quarantine facility ‘imminent’:
- A federal decision on a purpose-built quarantine facility for Victoria is “imminent”, with an Avalon location favourable, Treasurer Josh Frydenberg says..
- The Victorian government has proposed a new purpose-built quarantine facility on Melbourne outskirts and has asked for federal support..
- “This designated facility that Victoria has proposed for quarantine is over and above the existing hotel quarantine facility..
- Acting Premier James Merlino said the government was waiting for a definitive answer from its federal counterparts..
- “The federal government just needs to give us the tick on the site, and the tick on the funding, and we will crack on and get this thing built, and whilst we need it for Covid response, we will operate that facility,”.
- Mr Merlino said the key in negotiations was ensuring the purpose-built facility would lower the risk in hotel quarantine, and cater to travellers deemed the highest risk..
- “We will not accept a model that doesn’t lower risk in hotel quarantine and has an indefinite capacity increase in our hotel quarantine system…