Sumary of Forget about Australia: Qantas suspends SA route until next April:
- The airline has now said that it will not restart flights on the Sydney -Johannesburg route until 2022. RESTART DEPENDS ON VACCINATION ROLLOUT According to Tourism Update, a press release from Qantas states that the plan for the restart of international routes is linked to the vaccine roll-out in Australia and key overseas destinations.
- DESTINATIONS WITH HIGH VACCINE ROLLOUT Qantas indicates that it will restart operations to destinations that have higher vaccination figures first.
- Destinations with high and increasing vaccination levels, are most likely to be classed as low-risk countries for Qantas.
- Flights between Australia and New Zealand will be on sale for travel from mid-December 2021, on the basis that the two-way bubble between the two countries restarts.
- DESTINATIONS WITH LOW VACCINE ROLLOUT Countries with low levels of vaccination will be last to see the restoration of flights by the Australian national carrier.
- “Destinations that still have low vaccine rates and high levels of COVID infection will now be pushed out from December 2021 until April 2022 – including Bali, Jakarta, Manila, Bangkok, Phuket, Ho Chi Minh City and Johannesburg,” Qantas said.