Sumary of George Floyd death: Ex-cops plead not guilty:
- Four former Minneapolis police officers involved in the deadly arrest of George Floyd have entered not guilty pleas to federal charges of violating Floyd’s civil rights at an arraignment.
- Alexander Kueng and Tou Thao were fired after Floyd’s arrest on May 25, 2020.Chauvin, who is white, was sentenced in state court in June to 22 and a half years in prison following a jury verdict of guilty in the murder of Floyd, after a bystander’s mobile phone video showed the black man was held face-down and not resisting in a restraint.
- Camera IconFormer police officer Derek Chauvin is awaiting sentence over the death of George Floyd.
- Credit: APThe verdict was widely seen as a landmark rebuke of the disproportionate use of police force against black individuals.
- The video of Chauvin kneeling on the neck of the handcuffed Floyd for more than nine minutes during the arrest caused outrage around the world and the largest protest movement seen in the United States in decades.