Sumary of Jane Halton hits out at Australia’s quarantine system:
- National Covid-19 Co-ordination Commission Advisory Board commissioner Jane Halton in October released a review on Australia hotel quarantine system, calling for additional national quarantine facilities..
- Following a series of outbreaks since the review release, including the ongoing situation in Victoria, Ms Halton said she was “disappointed”.
- Appearing before a senate committee on Wednesday, Health Department secretary Brendan Murphy rejected Ms Halton assertions..
- Aged Care Minister Richard Colbeck said decisions on hotel quarantine were discussed weekly by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC), and the system was constantly improving..
- Camera IconBrendan Murphy defended the quarantine system, but conceded outbreaks were ‘upsetting for people like Ms Halton’..
- News Corp Australia Mr Colbeck said the states had asked to control hotel quarantine as part of national cabinet discussions, accusing Mr Watt of “developing a narrative that diminishes the state responsibilities”..
- “We don’t know how many of those 130,000 workers who are visiting older Australians have been vaccinated,”.
- The committee was told on Tuesday that only 33,000 aged care workers, less than 10 per cent of the total workforce, were confirmed to have received their second dose of the vaccine….