Sumary of Once stained by blood, Misery Beach is now Australia’s top stretch of sand:
- But now, Misery Beach is the shock winner of the official “Australia’s Best Beach” award for 2022. Flanked by a giant rock face and lapped by calm waters, this spectacular beach has long shed it sinister past as a whaling station and hideaway for escaped convicts who looted ships along the south coast of Western Australia (WA).
- Little known even in WA, Misery Beach claimed the title ahead of its renowned tropical counterparts like Blue Pearl Bay in Queensland.
- Awarded each year by Tourism Australia, it’s a big deal in a country that claims to have more beaches than any other in the world — somewhere in the range of 12,000. The latest list of Australia’s top 20 beaches, announced in early February, includes spots in every one of the country’s states and territories.
- Misery Beach, Australia’s ‘best beach’ for 2022. Frances Andrijich Photography Misery Beach is in a remote location 400 kilometers (nearly 250 miles) south of WA’s capital, Perth, near the pretty oceanside center of Albany.
- That absence of Covid-19 is partly due to the fact WA has been shut to foreign tourists for almost two years now, and has also been strict in permitting tourism from other Australian states.