Sumary of The dark side of Australia tourists don’t want to hear about:
- Photo: National Library of Australia Juan Walker shades his eyes from the glare of the Queensland sun as he looks out over Kuku Yalanji country, his country, his ancestors’ country.
- They did this, Walker says, into the 20th century.
- Exploring Kuku Yalanji country, around Port Douglas in Queensland, with Juan Walker from Walkabout Cultural Adventures.Photo: Tourism and Events Queensland Juan Walker works as a tour guide now, at Walkabout Cultural Adventures (his last name, incidentally, comes from the family his grandfather went to work for.
- He takes tourists out in Kuku Yalanji country, around Port Douglas.
- “It’s about sharing part of our history,” Walker explains.
- You will now receive updates from Traveller Newsletter Traveller Newsletter Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.
- It’s also a time to learn the truth of our history and to acknowledge that truth, no matter how disturbing it might be.
- For travellers, accessing those stories is actually relatively easy.