Sumary of The winning images in the BigPicture Natural World Photography Competition 2021:
- They are just some of the stars of the poignant winning images in this year’s BigPicture Natural World Photography Competition, hosted by the California Academy of Sciences..
- Entrants to this year’s contest were asked to submit images that showcased the Earth’s biodiversity and the ‘mounting threats to the natural world’..
- The winning images first appeared in bioGraphic, an online magazine about science and sustainability and the official media sponsor for the competition..
- It was taken by Canadian photographer Jo-Anne McArthur as she accompanied an organisation called Vets for Compassion as they searched a eucalyptus plantation for injured and starving koalas in the wake of a bush fire near Australia southeast coast last year..
- ‘Though a post-pandemic world is finally in sight, the scars of Covid-19 will live on for years to come – including those on our environment..
- It was taken in the coastal rain forests of British Columbia, Canada, by Canadian photographer Michelle Valberg and won the Terrestrial Wildlife category..
- It was taken by Fran Rubia, a Spanish electrician who has studied photography through the Centro Andaluz de la Fotografía..
- ‘For hummingbirds, especially species that live in the cool and wet Andean cloud forests like these two, calories – those they consume and those they conserve – are key to survival and reproduction….