Sumary of Victorian government flags tougher border closure over NSW virus crisis:
- The Victorian government had flagged a tough border closure with NSW as the northern neighbour’s Delta outbreak continues to worsen.
- Health Minister Martin Foley Victoria’s biggest threat was importing the virus again from NSW.
- We cannot send it back, I wish we could, but what we can do is take all of the measures that the public health team recommended to us to keep that border protection as strong as possible,” Mr Foley said on Wednesday.
- ”Camera IconBorder bubble residents must have a permit to cross the Murray River.
- NCA NewsWire / Simon Dallinger Credit: News Corp AustraliaVictoria’s border with NSW has been closed completely since July 20, and border bubble residents can only cross the Murray with a permit for five permitted reasons.
- NSW recorded 919 new local cases on Wednesday – a new record – while Victoria reported 45.Mr Foley couldn’t rule out the border could remaining closed for months to come and said it would depend on the position of the nation if it was reopened once the 70 and 80 per cent vaccination targets were hit.