Sumary of Wings clipped? Lockdowns and border closures threaten European travels:
- South African nationals have been banned from entering a long list of countries such as Singapore, Japan, Australia and New Zealand for just short of two years.
- There were some positive developments for us earlier this year with a handful of nations reopening their borders to South African nationals from around August after the Beta variant had been reclassified and several countries in Southern African were downgraded from virus variant areas to high-risk areas.
- Germany, Switzerland and Austria reopened their borders to South African nationals this year.
- Airlines including British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and Emirates Airlines also started accepting South African nationals back onto their flights in the second half of this year.
- It seems that the tide is turning again, with rising Covid-19 infection rates in numerous countries.
- Austrian authorities have imposed a nationwide lockdown after a rise in the number of infections in that country.