Sumary of Emirates’ flight and entry bans against SA drag on:
- Coming in behind Qatar Airways, Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines and Qantas, Dubai-based carrier Emirates Airlines has taken fifth place in the rankings of the world’s best airlines for this year, according to Airlineratings.
- UAE BAN ON SOUTH AFRICA The United Arab Emirates (UAE) imposed both entry and flight bans against South Africa in early January this year – as a result of the detection of the Beta variant of the coronavirus in South Africa.
- The directive prohibits South Africans from entering the UAE and prevents airlines operating flights between the two countries.
- Now nearly 6 months later, the UAE’s entry ban is still in place meaning South Africans and anyone who has been through SA in the 14 days prior to their travels may not enter the United Arab Emirates.
- SLIGHT REPRIEVE FOR EMIRATES’ PASSENGERS Authorities in the UAE later updated the travel ban resulting in Emirates Airlines being able to carry passengers on flights to South Africa but banning passengers from South Africa on return flights between South Africa and Dubai.