Sumary of Punta Arenas expects 40 vessels and 226 calls for the 2021/22 cruise season starting next October:
- Punta Arenas expects 40 vessels and 226 calls for the 2021/22 cruise season starting next October Monday, July 12th 2021 – 08:36 UTC Full article The port of Punta Arenas, extreme south of Chile, is also working and hoping for a resumption of the 2021/22 cruise season Punta Arenas port authorities announced over the weekend that they expect the 2021/22 cruise season to begin next 19 October when Sylvia Earle calls at Chile’s extreme south terminal.
- She will be the first of some 226 calls, so far, from forty international cruise vessels to which must be added those from domestic companies.
- The manager of the Austral Port administration, Rodrigo Pommiez said the season hopefully will extend until next April, and revealed that the company has received many visit requests, although the vessels are smaller than those which visited last time, two years ago in 2019, and most are oriented to Antarctica cruises.
- Most possibly we could also become a homeport for some cruise lines, and we are doing our best to coordinate efforts, indicated Pommiez.
- He admitted having visited Puerto Williams, together with his Services Manage, Marcela Mansilla to ensure in situ that cruises can also operate there.
- Last week neighbouring Ushuaia in the Argentine province of Tierra del Fuego announced that they are preparing to receive some 68 vessels and almost 500 calls this coming 2021/22 season.
- However, vaccination of the Punta Arenas population and the implementation of necessary measures to ensure the pandemic is under control, facilitating the access and exit of tourists is critical, if we want to ensure that the tourism industry does not face a second season of no vessels, of no activities.