Sumary of Crews struggle to stop fire bearing down on Lake Tahoe:
- The Caldor Fire was less than 20 miles (32 kilometers) east of the lake that straddles the California-Nevada state line.
- The fire was eating its way through rugged timberlands and was “knocking on the door” of the Lake Tahoe basin, California’s state fire chief Thom Porter warned this week.
- Casino, cocktail waitresses in fishnet stockings and leopard-print corsets served customers playing slots and blackjack.
- In the end, the Nelsons spent two days arranging to have the wedding moved from the glacial lake several hours southwest to the San Francisco Bay Area.
- ”Meanwhile the Dixie Fire, the second-largest in state history at 1,140 square miles (2,953 square kilometers) was burning only about 65 miles (104 kilometers) to the north.