Sumary of From cucumber soup to ice-cream: summer recipes from Skye Gyngell:
- There is a loving, odd-couple element to chef Skye Gyngell and her grower Jane Scotter.
- Theirs is a cook-farmer relationship, more commonly seen in California with, say, Chez Panisse or David Kinch’s Manresa restaurant and Love Apple Farm, but near unheard of in the UK.We’re Facetiming while they’re at Fern Verrow, Scotter’s market garden in Herefordshire, where Gyngell is combining one of her seasonal visits with an OFM photoshoot.
- The pair have worked together since 2014, when Gyngell left Michelin-starred Petersham Nurseries in Richmond to open Spring in Somerset House, off the Strand in London.
- ” She had been unwell and had to close her stall just a week before Gyngell approached her.
- ”Seven years later, Fern Verrow and their smaller growing operation to supply Hampshire hotel Heckfield Place – where Gyngell is culinary director – has 450 fruit and vegetable beds over 16 acres producing 60 tonnes of biodynamic food for the restaurants.
- “I think we were both quite nervous at the beginning,” says Gyngell.