Sumary of Meet The Ski Resort Formerly Known As Squaw Valley:
- The popular California ski resort formerly known as Squaw Valley Ski Resort has ditched its name, which included a derogatory term for Native American women.
- Resort officials arrived at the new moniker after a year of searching amid a worldwide reckoning over racial injustice.
- The 72-year-old resort has a storied legacy in American skiing as a host site of the 1960s Winter Olympics.
- “More than one year ago, we came to the conclusion that it was time to change our name,” according to a statement on the resort’s website.
- “The word itself is a constant reminder of the unjust treatment of the native people, of the Washoe people,” said Darrel Cruz, Washoe Tribe Historic Preservation Office.