Sumary of Not Just Hot Air: Ballooning In New Mexico, South Dakota, California And Texas:
- Annual Albuquerque International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta, Universal Images Group via Getty Images Right now travelers are looking for outdoor activities with social distancing.
- You probably know about New Mexico’s Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, nine days in October with twilight flights, balloon rodeos and the otherworldly Mass Acension of colorful balloons.
- But in other Western states, small towns also offer hot- air balloon experiences, and less-crowded outdoor venues.
- South Dakota Rapid City – The Stratobowl is just 12 miles south of Rapid City in the Black Hills National Forest.
- Aeronautical history was made here when high- altitude balloons launched from the natural bowl and visited the stratosphere in the 1930s.
- Today, pilots flock to the box canyon with their balloons each year for a chance to fly over the historic site during the annual Stratobowl Historic Hot Air Balloon event in September.