Sumary of Guyanese fried chicken, and saltfish with coconut dumplings: Keshia Sakarah’s Caribbean recipes for summer:
- The Caribbean is a cultural microcosm, and home to a beautifully nuanced world of ingredients and dishes.
- Guyanese-Chinese-style fried chickenThis is a super-rich, salty and fried chicken dish that’s often found at local Chinese takeaways in Guyana.
- Drizzle the thickened sauce all over the chicken, garnish with the spring onions and serve with fried rice.
- Fried riceCassareep, an indigenous ingredient made from cassava root, gives the rice a slightly sour undertone.
- You can buy it in any good Caribbean food store and online;
- Once the rice has cooked for 20 minutes, drain, then spread out on a large tray, leave to cool, cover and put in the fridge, ideally overnight – cold, stale rice always works best for fried rice, so the longer, the better.