Sumary of ‘Bling Empire’ star Kane Lim, Fil-Am pastry chef Sally Camacho discuss uplifting Asian excellence — and that bougie viral halo-halo:
- AS the summer comes to an end and temperatures begin dropping (climate change notwithstanding), it’s time to eke out summertime favorites, of which Filipinos, like Heart Evangelista, are all too familiar.
- 21, the Filipina actor and socialite posted a photo of the summer staple halo-halo, but it wasn’t just regular halo-halo: it was a gold flake encrusted, posh take on the classic icy treat, served specially for a close-knit group of friends.
- It was a creation from award-winning Filipino American pastry chef Sally Camacho Mueller who made the custom-made dish for the party’s co-host, Dion Ugbebor, chief executive of LA-based home care agency Intra Care.
- Pastry chef Sally Camacho’s gold-dusted halo-halo as posted by Heart Evangelista on Instagram.
- 7. What makes Camacho’s glitzy halo-halo perfectly fit for an upper-echelon crowd is not just the gold flakes that effortlessly varnish the dish, but the neat presentation and understated elegance of the dish, which is typically more slap-dash in preparation and flamboyant in color.
- “What resonates with me is thinking about the ways our moms and aunties cooked at home,” Camacho said of her approach to Filipino cuisine.