Sumary of Former Uruguayan Tourism minister forced to resign has many influential friends in the political system:
- Cardoso was forced to resign following claims of contracting publicity and not complying with established procedures, but complaining he was the victim of a furious and angry campaign to erase him.
- Media got word of the matter and this forced president Lacalle Pou and the chair of the Colorado party, ex president Julio Maria Sanguinetti to decide Cardoso’s replacement.
- Cardoso claimed he was the victim of a callous campaign, pledged he would ask for an investigation into the allegations when he returned to parliament and a lawmaker also from Maldonado, but from the opposition and on his own initiative, Eduardo Antonini, also called for an investigation committee in parliament.
- President Lacalle Pou said that Cardoso’s decision was adequate and correct;
- The president also praised Cardoso’s attitude during the pandemic, he had a very complex job balancing the different interests of a sector so punished as has been tourism in these years.
- To start with the request from opposition Broad Front lawmaker Antonini was personal, he underlined the fact.