Sumary of In southwestern Wisconsin, the bucolic Driftless Area is an overlooked gem:
- It my first night in the Driftless Area, a 24,000-square-mile topographical novelty in the Upper Midwest, most of which lies in southwestern Wisconsin..
- Though I have spent most of my life in the Midwest, I had never heard of this geographical quirk until after the pandemic struck, at which point I found myself habitually researching weekend getaways within a day drive..
- Founded by a James Beard-nominated chef, the Driftless Café in small-town Viroqua, Wis., changes its menu nightly..
- The path rose quickly, and just a half-mile later, I caught my breath at the summit, a soaring sandstone outcrop called Black Hawk Rock..
- I closed a roughly 3½ -mile loop before leaving the reserve, cutting first through a prairie still black with soot from a prescribed burn, and later beneath two covered bridges..
- how she and Chef Luke, her James Beard Award-nominated husband, landed back in the Driftless Area after starting a family in Madison;.
- To avoid a colossal heating bill, Driftless Books closes during the winter but continues to retail online year-round..
- The farther I climb, the more horizon I can see beyond the trees, until suddenly I’m burped into a sunny south-facing meadow darned with yellow wildflowers….