Sumary of Southwest Airlines cancels 2,000 flights, blames weather, ATC:
- Southwest Airlines cancels 2,000 flights, blames weather, ATC Tuesday, October 12th 2021 – 09:00 UTC Full article Southwest shares fell after the cancellations US carrier Southwest Airlines cancelled a large number of flights over the weekend citing weather conditions and air traffic control (ATC) disruptions.
- Although Southwest blamed the weather, it was the only airline to face problems on such a scale.
- Monday’s cancellations amounted to 10 per cent of Southwest’s schedule, and at least 1,400 other flights, or roughly 40 per cent, were delayed, according to the FlightAware tracking service.
- As a result of these events, shares of Southwest Airlines Co. fell 4.2 per cent.
- The airline said Monday that they had “numerous cancellations, primarily created by weather and other external constraints, which left aircraft and Crews out of pre-planned positions to operate our schedule on Saturday.
- ” “Unfortunately, the out-of-place aircraft and continued strain on our Crew resources created additional cancellations across our point-to-point network that cascaded throughout the weekend and into Monday,” Southwest went on.