Sumary of The latest gift trend: Booking travel ‘experiences’ instead of buying ‘stuff’:
- A survey of more than 1,000 Americans by the computer company Adobe showed that while 51% of respondents plan to purchase physical gifts this holiday season, 17% plan to give “an experience” instead.
- Survey respondents cited spa treatments (25%) and concert tickets (25%) most often, while others said they planned to give plane tickets (21%) and cooking classes (16%) as gifts.
- “People seem to value quality time together and doing something meaningful.
- A weekend getawayFor people who prefer to hole up and relax on vacation, booking a weekend away may be a better option.
- Ski chalets, lake houses and other homes on the rental website Vrbo can be purchased as gifts, said Alison Kwong, a company senior manager.
- “When you find a vacation home you know they’ll love … make sure the vacation home offers flexible cancellation in case they need to change the dates of their stay,” she said.