Sumary of FedEx Plans To Protect Its Pilots And Planes With Anti-Missile Lasers:
- com/Universal Images Group via Getty Images) Universal Images Group via Getty Images Can FedEx (FDX: NYSE) benefit from a laser-based anti-missile system for future cargo planes?
- The cargo company is petitioning the Federal Aviation Administration to let it add laser-based anti-missile countermeasure systems to Airbus A321-200 aircraft.
- According to the RAND Institute, “In March 1975, an Air Vietnam passenger airliner was brought down [by] a man-portable defense system (MANPAD).
- ” The proposed system would direct infrared laser energy toward an incoming missile, to interrupt its tracking of engine heat.
- Installation of the protective radar plus laser package could also expand FedEx’s operations, allowing it to fly into restricted areas and world ‘hot spots.