Sumary of UK suspends flights to six African countries as new Covid variant raises alarms:
- Britain’s Health Secretary Sajid Javid speaks during a press conference at Downing Street on October 20, 2021 in London, England.
- Toby Melville | WPA Pool | Getty Images NewsThe United Kingdom is temporarily suspending flights from six countries as a new Covid variant with more than 30 mutations spreads in South Africa.
- Sajid Javid, the U.K.’s secretary of state for health and social care, made the announcement hours after the World Health Organization gave a briefing on the new variant.
- From noon tomorrow six African countries will be added to the red list, flights will be temporarily banned, and UK travellers must quarantine,” Javid wrote on Twitter.
- The World Health Organization is holding a special meeting Friday to discuss what the new variant may mean for vaccines and treatments, officials said Thursday.
- The variant has also been detected in Botswana and Hong Kong, South Africa Minister of Health Joe Phaahla said during the briefing.