Sumary of R57k for a UK visit? SA off the red list, but airfares have rocketed sky-high:
- A number of South Africans have British ancestry or significant ties with the UK. The flight and travel bans that were imposed for close to 10 months prevented both Brits and South Africans from travelling between the two countries.
- HIGH FARES TO THE UK The pent-up demand for travel between the UK and South Africa has led to a surge in the prices of flights.
- The removal of South Africa from the UK’s red-list on 11 October means that fully vaccinated South Africans can once again travel to the United Kingdom after having been banned from making discretionary trips there since December last year.
- UK BOOKINGS POURING IN Air ticket sales from South Africa to London have tripled since last Thursday’s red-list announcement, Flight Centre said in a statement this week.
- According to Flight Centre Travel Group MD Andrew Stark, the UK is one of the international destinations seeing the highest demand from South Africans.
- “We have been inundated with enquiries for travel to the UK since the long-overdue announcement by the British government on Thursday evening.