Sumary of Thailand launches tourist reopening scheme for three more islands:
- Thailand, being one of South Africa’s best-loved tourism destinations is gradually opening up to international visitors again.
- THAILAND’S PHASED REOPENING On 1 July, the country reopened its second-largest tourism hotspot Phuket, to vaccinated international travellers.
- Thailand is eager to revive its tourism sector which accounted for up to 20% of the country’s GDP prior to the pandemic.
- Launched on 15 July, the initiative aims to attract foreign tourists back to Thailand.
- THAILAND RESUSCITATES TOURISM It is expected that only 1000 tourists will arrive in the first month after the launch.
- This will inject much-needed income into the local economies of these three tourism-dependent islands.