Sumary of The end in sight? UK traffic light system slated to end in October:
- A source told EuroNews that the UK’s travel rules are expected to be based on a traveller’s vaccination status as opposed to the risk level of the country that they are arriving from.
- TRAVEL RESTRICTIONS AGAINST SOUTH AFRICA The UK imposed fight and travel bans against South Africa in December last year when the Beta strain of the Coronavirus was discovered in the country.
- The ban has prohibited airlines from operating scheduled passenger flights between the two countries for most of this year, as well as prevented South Africans from travelling to the UK for tourism purposes.
- The list totally prevents nationals from red-listed countries from making discretionary trips to the UK. The traffic light system has severely disadvantaged many countries which are dependent on the UK as a source market for tourism.
- South Africa’s tourism sector is heavily reliant on tourists from the UK as the United Kingdom was South Africa’s top tourism source country prior to the pandemic.
- Reports from the World Travel and Tourism Council (WTTC) have estimated that the UK’s travel ban has cost South Africa R26 million per day in loss of revenue.