Sumary of Spain holidays: Face masks once again mandatory outside as Balearics Covid cases surge:
- Speaking at a press conference today, Balearics tourism minister Iago Negueruela said alongside the face mask rule, other restrictions are likely to be reinstated.
- “We are studying different restrictions against excesses and control of public spaces,” Mr Negueruela told press.
- The new coronavirus restrictions are set to be formalised in the coming days and rolled out across the Balearic Islands from Saturday 24. Quarantine: Briton trapped in Spain hotel warns against holidaysThough there is no confirmation for the Balearics, local press speculates this action could soon be taken.
- The Balearics were put onto the UK’s green list for travel at the end of June, sparking a surge in British tourists jetting off to the likes of Menorca, Majorca and Ibiza.
- Yet, just three weeks later, the UK Department of Transport moved the Balearics back to the amber list in time for July 19.Mainland Spain has seen a similar surge in confirmed cases of coronavirus, which has prompted certain regions to reinforce curfew rules.
- Despite this, Spanish officials say their health care system is not currently under pressure.