Sumary of Zimbabwe: Zimparks in Drive to Boost Tourism:
- Zimparks has started boosting the profile of Gonarezhou National Park in the southeast of the Lowveld by reintroducing rhinos in a move tailored to boost the revival of the local tourism industry, one of the key anchors of the local and national economy..
- Rhinos were hunted to extinction in Gonarezhou almost 30 years by poachers but with the vastly improved protection offered by the parks across the border and by Zimparks on the Zimbabwean side it is now possible to bring rhino back..
- Zimparks spokesperson Mr Tinashe Farawo said the ongoing reintroduction of rhinos in Gonarezhou would boost tourism in the park..
- Sign up for free AllAfrica Newsletters Mr Farawo assured the nation that adequate measures have been put in place to make sure the rhinos don’t fall prey to poachers and become extinct again..
- The rhinos being stocked in Gonarezhou were being translocated from private wild sanctuaries such as Malilangwe that had provided the refuges for endangered species while Zimparks fought the poachers in most state-owned game parks….