Sumary of Nigeria: Airlines Record Low Patronage Over Insecurity:
- Those who spoke to THISDAY insisted that high airfares could be a factor, but insecurity was also identified as major reason..
- THISDAY learnt that some airlines that resumed flights to some destinations in the north had to withdraw, while the south-east airports, which used to be lucrative routes after Lagos and Abuja have recorded reduction in passenger movement..
- Head of Communications, Dana Air, Kingsley Ezenwa, told THISDAY that there is slight reduction in the airline’s load factor in its flights to Enugu, Owerri and Port Harcourt..
- A senior executive in one of the major domestic carriers told THISDAY that passenger traffic has dropped even as airlines are bringing in more airplanes from checks overseas, while new aircraft acquired by one of the airlines have continued to be delivered..
- Recently one of the new carriers, Green Africa announced that it would sell tickets at N16, 500, although industry pundits said such fare is not sustainable..
- “The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) will not allow you to cut corners and it is only a stupid airline that will go and cut corners because it is more expensive to cut corners in aviation than to do the right thing….