Sumary of Benjamina Ebuehi’s recipe for caramel almond buckwheat tart | The sweet spot:
- The sweet almond topping on this tart was inspired by toscakaka, a delightful Swedish almond cake that I fell in love with a few years ago.
- A buttery mix of brown sugar, toasted almonds and cream comes together to create a shell-like layer that sits on top of a soft, frangipane filling.
- Roll out the dough into a large circle about 3-4mm thick and use to line a 22cm-23cm fluted tart tin.
- Cream the butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract until pale and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then mix in the ground almonds and salt.
- Meanwhile, toast the almonds in a dry pan for a few minutes until they start to brown, then set aside.