Sumary of Henrock, Bowness, Cumbria: ‘It blew my mind’ – restaurant review | Grace Dent on restaurants:
- Eating in the Lake District, which I do a great deal, always involves a certain level of struggle.
- Staffing issues and brief opening hours are normal, while all the delicious, sanely priced places are booked up six months in advance by the control freaks in every Lake District Weekend Woo-Hoo!
- This leaves a plethora of nigh-inaccessible fine-dining spots that almost nobody local has ever visited.
- At the Linthwaite House hotel, where the Simon Rogan restaurant Henrock lives, I was quoted £775 by a “bargain” website for a room for two on 29 August.
- I’ve lived among London dandies for decades, so am used to high-rollers, but still, even I can’t envisage settling a bill of that magnitude without openly weeping at reception.However, of all the Lake District’s pinky-in-the-air places that exist only for the fleeting delight of fancy people, lunch at the gorgeous Henrock is the one that truly moved me.
- If you have a special occasion, Henrock at Linthwaite is one worth scrimping and saving for – with starters at about £13 and mains £30, you could go easy on the booze and get out for about £75 a head.