Sumary of Nigel Slater’s recipes for apricot jam, and cream cheese puddings:
- It doubles as a picnic cloth, set with plates of sheep’s milk cheeses, a glass jar of honey from a friend’s bees and a bowl of rust-freckled apricots the size of blackbird eggs.
- I pick up apricots from any one of the local Turkish greengrocers whose fruit seems cheaper and riper than I can buy elsewhere.
- )I pick up apricots from local Turkish greengrocers whose fruit seems cheaper and riper than I can buy elsewhereThe kitchen has smelled of apricot jam this week – the most easily made of fruit preserves and with a flavour true to its fruit.
- I do think that letting the fruit lie under a snow of granulated sugar the night before boiling makes for a better jam.
- The apricots I haven’t preserved have been stewed for dessert.
- We served them with a cream cheese pudding – a sort of warm cheesecake – breaking open its fluffy crust and sliding a puddle of warm fruit into the middle.